The Laguna Coast Foundation will constitute a hub for Research, Innovation, and Green Entrepreneurship that will extend across the country and respond to the challenges and needs of the 21st century. Through digital transformation, the country will shift to a new business model based on the triptych “environmental – economic – social growth”, which, in turn, will allow us to build a new, strong, modern Greece with ecologically aware citizens – guardians of the environment.
Sector and fields of application
The purpose of the Foundation is to transform research results into consistent, essential knowledge for all stakeholders, researchers, and interested parties, in the following sectors and fields of application:
- Preservation of the ecosystems’ stable condition through a growth model that respects their ecological limits.
- Implementation of innovative, evaluated and financially viable methodologies, able to determine with great precision the water requirements of crops, thus maximising the efficiency of irrigation and the reduction of the carbon footprint.
- Conservation of biodiversity, which is a criterion and a factor of the ecosystems’ robustness.
- Contribution of agriculture to combat climate change, through the adoption of soil-friendly farming practices that increase organic matter and biodiversity, and, therefore, protect the soil’s overall health.
- Quantification of the social and economic benefits stemming from the adoption of sustainable farming and stock-breeding practices at the local and global levels.
- Renewable energy sources – decarbonisation
- Climate neutrality
- Environmentally friendly, energy-autonomous infrastructure
- “Green” buildings and ecological materials
- Efficient, safe, and environmentally friendly transport
- Environmental impact – biodiversity
- Clean and sustainable shipping, maritime transport
- Sustainable fishing and fish-farming
- Healthy ocean systems and sound management thereof
- Coastline and insular communities
- Water accessibility, efficiency, and quality
- Waste recovery, reuse, and recycling
- Ethical and sustainable brands
- Adequacy and allocation of resources
- Consumer responsibility
- Smart sustainable cities
- Sound management of financial assets